At Hare Street will make every effort to remain open whenever possible. The decision to close the school will be made by the Head Teacher. We will only be closed if one or more of the following conditions apply.
- Insufficient staff are able to come in to keep the school running safely.
- Conditions on site are dangerous.
- Conditions are considered to be or are anticipated to later become too hazardous to travel.
In the Event of Heavy Snow before the School Day Starts
When school closure is a possibility parents should find out whether the school is open by:-
- Checking the Essex County Council website here to see if Hare Street is in the list of schools that are closed.
- Checking the school website https://www.harestreet.essex.sch.uk/ to see if there is a message on the home page.
If it is decided that the school will open, but the road conditions are difficult, parents should ring the school to advise that they are likely to be late.
If parents assume that the school is closed, but is actually open, the absence will be recorded as unauthorised unless the Head Teacher is satisfied that there are exceptional circumstances.
The Head Teacher will decide whether the school will be open taking into account the conditions at the school and the ability of staff to get there.
If the Head Teacher decides the school will close he will update the school website immediately with a home page notification. The ECC website will then updated and a text message sent to staff and parents advising them of closure.
It is important for parents to make sure they check the websites above in case the text system is slow due to the number of schools using it. DO NOT ring the school as this will cause delays distributing information.
The school fully appreciates that in bad weather children may arrive later than usual.
In the event of heavy snowfall during the school day
If there is heavy snowfall during the school day the Head Teacher will decide whether it is necessary to close the school.
- The Office will contact parents via text message and ask that they pick their child/children up from school as soon as possible.
- The staff that live furthest from the school will be permitted to leave at the earliest opportunity.
- A skeleton staff will remain in school until all the children have been collected.
- If a parent rings requesting they pick up their child up early due to the weather, and the decision has not been made to close the school, these requests will be considered on an individual basis.